Home Forum Chilli Boards Chilli Pests and Diseases Leaf curl?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Chilli Plant Pests and Diseases
  • Page:

TOPIC: Leaf curl?

Leaf curl? 3 years 1 month ago #1021

I've been getting leaf curl on new ish leaves on my chilli plants. Its affecting most chilli plants but not all. They are in a greenhouse with tomatoes and melons. There have been a few greenfly about but i've been spraying them off with soapy water and they don't seem to be hanging around. I've seen a one or two white fly about, but nothing i'm worried about. Red spider might, not sure but I can't see any. They were planted in compost from grow bags.

Turning over the leaf there are a few brown marks along the veins of the leaf.

The older leaves look fine and the very young leaves look OK.

I'm out of ideas, what could it be?

Thanks!
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Leaf curl? 3 years 1 month ago #1026

• Matt
  • Jalapeno
Yes I seem to have the same too. It all started on a few Kung Po F1 and now seems to have moved onto some of the Hot Orange. The later has only 2 affected at the moment but it has hit the leaves around the new flowers. The early ones seem to be ok but well behind the others in growth. I can't seem to figure out what's wrong. Can you help Steve?

Re: Leaf curl? 3 years 1 month ago #1028

• Shep
  • Santa Fe Grande
  • Thank you received: 11
It could be the aftermath of the aphid attack.

Particularly as it's around the newer growth - the bit aphids seem to prefer.

Give the plant a thorough check all over to make sure there are none still living on it.

If it's spider mites, they're very small but you'll spot them on the underside of the leaves if you look very closely. You'll also find fine webbing around the tips of the plant.

There's damage on the tips of the older leaves that looks like a bit of burning - possibly the combination of the soap spray and strong sunlight? Could this be what's damaged the newer leaves too? (If it is, it's still a lot less damage than the aphids would have done to your plants if left untreated.)
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Shep.

Re: Leaf curl? 3 years 5 hours ago #1213

• Steve
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Yes, aphids would be my guess; the damage has all the hallmarks - check the underside of the leaves.
Steve.

Re: Leaf curl? 3 years 4 hours ago #1215

I have spotted a few aphids on the youger plants but they don't seem to hang around after the leafs have curled up.

Oddly they don't seem to be affecting the larger plans at all.

Please to say my crop is starting to look quite nice.

Thanks all.

Re: Leaf curl? 3 years 4 hours ago #1216

• Steve
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Glad to hear things are improving. The holes that aphids make can cause the leaf to contort and they can also allow disease into the plant which can also cause contortions. Keep inspecting each day and gentle squish.

Steve.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.481 seconds